Monday, December 13, 2010

Art is Existence- Noah Christopherson


manifesto... 

manifesto...  something has to manifest... 

why isn't this easy?


For me, art isn't just a painting, or a photograph; though I do consider those art; art is the subtle way a piece of cloth flows over a hip, or the way a necklace slightly accentuates the indentation of a clavicle. My art is fashion, and with my designs I have something to say. It's not just about creating something for a person to wear out everyday, it is about creating a way of life, something that is significant in a person's day. Being a womenswear designer, I am in the market of making pieces of clothing which make a woman feel powerful and in charge of her own life, all while keeping her feminine and sensual. There is often times a slight edge to what I design. It could be anything from a structured shoulder to adding leather detailing on the bodice of a dress. Women deserve to feel empowered, important, and beautiful all at the same time, there is a way to display those through fashion.

"If you ask any lady, they want to be taller, they want to be slimmer, you know, and they want a waist. I'm not here to make people look like a sack of potatoes."- Lee Alexander McQueen

Alexander McQueen has been a huge influence in my fashion life. His designs always tell an intricate story and display amazing skill and craft. McQueen has inspired me to design things which are a little bit out of the ordinary, and a little more like art. Fashion, to me, has a place in museums. Nothing can express a person's feelings better than clothing. 

"Fashion fades, only style remains the same."- Coco Chanel

For me, truer words have never been uttered. The great innovator of feminine fashion gave women a new face in clothing. Her feministic views on life drastically changed the outlook of women in the world. Chanel started a fashion dynasty. The designs are timeless, and that is what I aim to do. I strive to create things which will be reinvented for generations to come. My goal is to make an imprint; not to just fade away into obscurity.

Fashion is a universal art. One could argue that since everyone has access to it that it is not true art. But think about designers… not everyone has access to Christian Dior or Louis Vuitton. You must work to obtain these objects, just like you must work to have the money to obtain art.

Art isn’t an object to me, art is what I live and breathe everyday. Fashion is in my blood, it keeps me alive, it’s why I exist. To design is to exist in my world.

So if you choose to call a fashion student vain or shallow, imagine your life without your chosen form of art. What would be the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment