Saturday, December 4, 2010

response to Helvetica

Helvetica: 
Font and typography is something that is overlooked in our society today because it has become something that we use in everyday life. Most people do not take the time to think about how the font was created or what it was inspired by, the film, Helvetica, really gives insight to how a font was made and the controversy that it gave, its just letters, really. Who knew fonts could cause such a stir? 

I had a love/hate relationship with this movie. I thought the idea was cool but it did not always hold my attention. I think the idea about learning hoe fonts are created and how they have developed over time was interesting but there is really only so much you can say about a font...  I have a lot of respect now for those who make fonts by hand, carving them out. That cannot be an ideal job all the time. You have to be really innovative to think of new fonts, I do not know how many more can be created!  

I would like to try this process sometime, i am just unsure if i have the patience! 

-Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment