Thursday, December 2, 2010

Biomimicry Ideas

The Greek definition of my name, Vanessa, is butterfly. So naturally when Abbi starts talking about butterflies in her Biomimicry lecture, I really start thinking about the possibilities.
What kind of design solution could I create without "heating, beating, or treating" a butterfly's wings? Almost immediately I went to fashion design. I started thinking of all the amazing patterns and textures a butterfly's wings has. I could create some truly beautiful dresses, scarves, pants, blouses, all out of this silky, butterfly-wing-like material.
The way the light would reflect off of the material would also be a lot more interesting than anything we have available today, almost like stain glass windows, except on your clothes. It would be really amazing.
Not to mention how soft and comfortable these clothes would be!
This is even just a small possibility of all the amazing ideas that biomimicry has to offer. I really hope that I can use biomimicry in my future designs and really make a change in the world!

I also just want to say thank you to Abbi for being a truly remarkable teacher and not giving up on this lecture even after the power went out! Yay!


1 comment:

  1. http://weheartit.com/entry/801353.... i love this Vanessa, i think you might too :D I would wear it every day for the rest of my life if i could

    ReplyDelete