Friday, September 24, 2010

Storm Thorgerson

Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here
(25th anniversary poster front)
2000 EMI

Pink Floyd
The Division Bell (CD front)
1994 EMI


Deepest Blue
Is it a Sin (CD single cover)
2004 Ministry of Sound

Biffy Clyro
Puzzle (CD album cover)
2007 14th Floor Records

http://www.stormthorgerson.com/window.html

I did not know about Storm Thorgerson until today. I've seen his artwork for years, but I never wondered who the artist was behind those album covers he designed. Pink Floyd album covers of course. He designed many album covers, box sets and posters for many other artists of course like 10cc, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Muse, and the Cranberries.

Thorgerson is a graphic designer and film maker. He does works like album covers, singles, labels, box sets, photos, illustration, design continuity, posters, logos, websites, DVDs, videos, concert films, documentaries, commercials, and books.

Thorgerson said "
I like photography because it is a reality medium, unlike drawing which is unreal. I like to mess with reality...to bend reality. Some of my works beg the question of is it real or not?" In his designs he places objects out of their traditional contexts and putting them in large spacing like a landscape. He makes the objects look awkward, but also shows the beauty of that object.

I love his style of art. It's like his designs are from a dream. I couldn't imagine seeing something like that in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment