Monday, October 4, 2010

Before The Sun- by Karthik Pandian

What would you do if you walked into a room and couldn't see anything but what looked to be a big platform with two projectors playing recordings onto the wall in exact opposition?
What would you say?

This is what happened to me on September 28th when my class took a trip to the Midway art gallery. My initial thought when i first walked in was "Whoa where am I and what is this". Walking around somewhat blind was interesting because I was still trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at. This was until my eyes adjusted and I started noticing little things, each projector were in a glass case that was like a light mirror. Standing in between the glass cases looking down I could see two reflections of myself and my actual self, this intrigued me, it was like I was standing next to two of my clones. This made me start looking in different directions and angles. When I looked up, I saw a giant red grid spread across the entire ceiling and thought "Is this even part of the exhibit". Finding out later that my question soon turned into a yes, because I noticed the film going through the projectors was running across the ceiling through the red grid. I was shocked to think how much time and planning must have took place to construct something like this.


http://www.midwayart.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment