Tuesday, November 23, 2010

So... Why is this art?

Artist: Felix Gonzales-Torres

Title of the work: “Untitled” (last light) 1993

Media: Plastic lights

I see 24 plastic lights on a white chord, hanging vertically from the ceiling in a corner, and the 16th light bulb from the top of the strand is not lit. It reminds me of the icicle lights I have hanging up in my bedroom and how some of them do not light up, but I wish they all worked properly. It also reminds me of winter, which is my least favorite time of year. Since it reminds me of winter, it makes me feel cold and uncomfortable. I feel ill at ease looking at it. Mostly, the raises the question, “WHY IS THIS CONSIDERED ART?!” And I wonder if the artist actually made this string of lights, or if he simply designed it. I also would like to know if there is a meaningful purpose behind the creation of this string of lights.



1 comment:

  1. Group reactions:
    - so messy
    - confusing - just lightbulbs, i didn't understand what the art was about, why the wall,? why the stright line
    - like unfinished cruistmas lights
    - Lonely
    - stick on fine
    - a lightbulb that was burned out - I was curious - was that a specifc one - how many --> 16th one is burnt out out of 24.
    - is it a memorial thing?
    - Representational of something, bt almost too vauge... I can never really settle on something.... I can't
    - history on the plack:

    - lots of symbolisum
    - you can see......what his point is - what he wants you to feel? His history is a great insight to his work.
    -


    What do we know about this work???
    - his lover who had aids
    - it was a memorial to him
    - everyday materials
    - the 16th is burnt out



    What don't we know?
    - Does the 1 light bulb that is out - does it matter? does that mean something?

    - whn did he dies?
    - what's signifigant about 16, and 24
    - why light bulbs
    - why are they just white lightbulbs - connection to his candy work, why not coolor?
    - was his partner so in love with life (connected to the candy) - ubt the lights - kinda blah
    - Does it have to do wth his lover's personality?
    - What about the placement on the wall - some lights are one the ground?
    - what about the placements of the light?
    - How should it be viewed? why the corner
    - how tall is it???
    - how quickly was this work accepted? did it get him money
    - is it finished???

    ReplyDelete